9.14.2009

Pesto Pea Spinach Salad

So I probably did not fool any of you with this picture.  I couldn't stand the idea of posting my same dinner party picture one more time so I cropped this so you could just see the salad.  And yes, this is the official last recipe from the dinner party.  My friend's mom gave me this Barefoot Contessa recipe a couple years ago and it has become a staple salad recipe for me.  I have served it for dinner parties and also made smaller versions when I am just cooking for two.  It is a unique salad and goes with anything from grilled meats to casseroles.  I touched on this when I posted on how to blanch peas, but do not pass this recipe by because you do not like peas. Trust me! I am a pea hater and I love this salad.  They are a perfect crunch in the salad and their flavor is transformed with the pesto.  Enjoy!
Pesto Pea Spinach Salad
Serves 4
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa
Recipe Notes
Depending on what kind of pesto you use, you might want to add kosher salt and pepper at the end.  If you make fresh pesto, this will probably not be necessary, but some store bought pestos could use a little extra seasoning.  Simply prepare the salad and taste before serving.  Add salt and pepper if it needs an extra kick.
Ingredients
2 cups of frozen peas
2 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts or pignolis (see toasting instructions below)
2 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
4 tablespoons of pesto (click here for recipe or use store bought)
Step by Step
1.  Blanch peas in a pot of salted water (click here for blanching instructions)
2.  To assemble the salad, place spinach leaves in a bowl.
3.  Sprinkle spinach with peas and pine nuts.  Toss with pesto.

To toast pine nuts...
1.  Place nuts in a dry saute pan over medium high heat for about 4 minutes.
2.  Toss frequently until evenly browned.  Watch closely so they do not burn!



3 comments:

  1. This salad looks delicious! I am going to trust you on the pea thing because no one in my family likes peas either! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Looks delicious and easy! I have a pasta salad recipe with peas so I know what you mean. I do not like peas, but they are really good in cold salads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and it was so so good! I did have to add some salt and pepper once I had tossed everything together but it was a huge hit with my family!

    ReplyDelete