2.17.2011

Parmesan Thyme Crackers

thyme crackers

I'm in a lovely little book club called Read Between the Wines. That's right, we read... between the wines.  Once a month, we read a book and then we get together for dinner to discuss... and have a glass or two.  I was up this month and I chose the book The Help.  It was wonderful and to try to go along the lines of a southern book, I served a sort of southern meal... and also tried to take in account that we were having the coldest weather we have probably ever had here in Houston.  So my menu... avocado chicken salad, roasted tomato basil soup and these little parmesan thyme crackers.  Just about the best thing I could imagine with a bowl of tomato soup.  They go well by themselves with a glass of wine so I think they were just about perfect.

Very easy to make, rich, flaky and delicious.  Ina does it again.  I do have plans to try these with rosemary instead of the thyme.  The thyme was great... I just don't love trying to get those tiny little thyme leaves off of the stem.  Anyone with me? Add these to the menu for anything from a cocktail party to a hearty winter meal.

Note to self:  Take pictures before you have 6 girls show up for dinner.  At least I got one picture of the baking process because these little things went fast.

From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy.
Parmesan Thyme Crackers
Adapted from Ina Garten

Recipe Notes
The dough might be a little crumbly so I added just a dash of water to help keep it together.  Some had reviews that they added a lot of water so add a little bit at a time so you have can keep it together, but it will not be overly moist.  You can also make this ahead of time and keep frozen until ready to use.  Bring almost to room temperature before slicing so that it doesn't crumble.
Ingredients
1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3 ounces grated parmesan
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Step by Step
Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Mix until creamy.  Add parmesan, flour, salt, thyme and pepper.  Form dough into a ball.  Dough will be very crumbly so add a little bit of water to help moisten.  Roll dough into a 9 inch log.  Wrap log in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut log into 1/2 inch slices.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 22 minutes.
Serve warm.

Makes 18 to 20 crackers.


8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned the water. I have made these before and they were entirely too crumbly to ever form into a log and she had suggested a 12 inch log. It was way too difficult and for some reason, we never thought to add water!! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about those little thyme leaves. Hard to work with! I will be interested in your recipe with rosemary. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun book club! And delicious food that you prepared. These crackers sound like the perfect afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a way to get in this book club? Or forget the book, I would just love to have some of this delicious food you always post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, looks pretty perfect with a bowl of soup. they look like they would just melt in your mouth. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fantastic! I could go for a bowl of your tomato soup and some crackers right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your book club. I agree about thyme leaves! I decided once to not make a recipe based on the fact that it required two tablespoon of thyme leaves and I just couldn't bring myself to do that. However, a gardener once told me there are different varieties and some are much easier than others to slide the leaves off so maybe that could make a difference? These sure do look great though.

    ReplyDelete