2.18.2011

a taste of: New Orleans

IMG_0712

When it came time to pack our bags for a weekend trip to we had planned months in advance, I was excited, but the planner in me was a little nervous.  I'm one of those who likes to know exactly what we are doing every minute of a trip because I don't want to miss out on anything.  I love going with the flow but also don't like to leave things to chance and end up missing out on something you must see or eat in a town.  

We went to New Orleans with our great friends, Adam and Jennifer, and it just so happens that they enjoy a good meal as much as we do.  And just like any true tourists would do, we went equipped with an amazing list of things to do, thanks to a few great friends who pulled through the day before we left.  But if you have ever been to New Orleans (or know us), you might be able to guess that 95% of this list was places we had to eat.   And boy, did we eat.  I thought I would share my favorites so if you happen to find yourself headed that way, you wouldn't miss the good stuff.  If you can believe it, we ate a lot more but these were the absolute best.  I'm sure we still missed other great places... what are you favorites?

First off was breakfast at the Old Coffee Pot in the French Quarter.
Eggs benedict with scrambled egg whites on top of spinach and artichoke hearts with hollandaise. mmmm... definitely put this on your list for breakfast.
IMG_0703

IMG_0701

We walked around the French Quarter and I happened upon a little treasure...

IMG_0720
A cookbook store chock full of vintage cookbooks

IMG_0719
Some shelves sorted by state...

IMG_0715
Could have spent hours in here...

IMG_0714

To know me is to know my obsession with olives and all things pickled.  That would help explain my obsession with muffulettas (however, I do order it without the bologna or "lunch meat" that is usually in these... ham, salami or turkey only please).  Central Grocery Co.  is one of the places I had been dying to go since a fellow muffuletta lover, Adam, had told me about the "home of the original."  If you have any sort of love for these sandwiches you must go.  Amazing.
IMG_0725

IMG_0724



The. best. cupcake. I. have. ever. had.
Seriously, and I know that is a strong statement from someone who doesn't shy away from a cupcake, but seriously this was heaven.  A dense brownie cupcake, peanut butter frosting and crushed Reese's Pieces on top.  The sad news is that this place was losing their lease the next day and would be closing.  They are hoping to find a new place to set up shop so google Kupcake Factory if you are in town and see if you can find this little jewel. 
IMG_0729

Fried shrimp po-boy and turtle soup from Mother's.  Such a great lunch and worth the wait that that was wrapped along the block. 
IMG_0742


IMG_0743
This was as much about the experience as it was the amazingly fresh oysters.  Felix's is a  great little dive with guys shucking oysters at the bar. 
IMG_0746

IMG_0748
Now this was serendipitous to say the least.  For some reason we all seemed to be craving pizza after lots of cajun food and determined not to have the plastic tasting pizza on Bourbon Street, we asked a few locals, checked Yelp and found Cafe Angeli.  This pizza was just too good not to share. 
IMG_0756
IMG_0755

And of course, we had to go to Cafe Du Monde twice for beignets.  There's just not much more to say than these are the absolute best. 
IMG_0765

IMG_0766


Another great little find thanks to Yelp,  Little Dizzy's.  We were looking for one last great meal and we definitely found it.  This little place is in an old bank building, which was not only a fun little setting, but a very unexpected place to find reasonably priced, great cajun food.  I had shrimp grillades over cheesy grits and the fried chicken got rave reviews from the boys. Would definitely go back here. 
IMG_0760

Last, but not least...
After much testing, I would like to weigh in on where I found the best Bloody Mary in town.  The Court of Two Sisters.  And those pickled green beans, oh those pickled green beans. 
IMG_0752
So this is my first post of restaurant recommendations when traveling and while I going to keep on with the cooking, I will occasionally share the good food I come to find when I am out and about.  Have any must eat recommendations for New Orleans?

12 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Yes, more of these posts please. I totally agree that it's nice to know a lot of good places to go so you don't miss out on something. My favorite place for brunch in New Orleans is Brennan's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this all looks amazing. I have never been to New Orleans, but I am going to save this list for when I go. I love good recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, gorgeous photos! Sounds like you hit all the right places in NOLA!
    Love your site--thanks for commenting on mine so I could find it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! And I too like to gather as many recommendations as possible. It's so funny because I think we are on the same page. I like to be flexible and "go with the flow" on a vacation, but I just feel like it is a waste if you are in a great place with great food and have a bad meal because you did not know where to go or plan ahead. I love the new look of your blog and I enjoy reading it every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashlea! :D Wowww this looks awesome! Oysters are some of my faves! Mmmmmmmm. This is such a cute site~ <3 have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to Court of Two Sisters and Cafe du Monde last weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhh! I was in New Orleans in December 2007, and this post brings back wonderful memories while breaking my heart becuase there's so much I didn't see/eat/do! I love travel posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such an awesome trip and makes me want to get on a plane and head to New Orleans ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashlea, so, so glad you are a frequent blogger again! Great post about your trip. See you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE New Orleans!! The feel of the city, the music and nightlife, the food... definitely one of my very fave US cities. What an awesome trip you had :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I love reading about where to go in different places. Especially places to eat! The eggs benedict looks delicious! I thought the old vintage cookbook shop was really cool too! I'd looove to own one of them. I love old books and anything vintage really.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog :). Loving yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post! I'm heading to NOLA today and am excited to try out at few of these eateries!

    ReplyDelete