6.29.2009

Southwestern Crepes

I have to admit something... I really really didn't want to post this recipe.  Why you ask?  Because I kind of wanted to keep it a secret till I can open my little dream crepe stand and serve this as my signature dish.  Yes, signature dish... It is absolutely that good and probably better.  Well, at least maybe this could rally financial support for my crepe stand (anyone? anyone?)  and until then, I will continue to share my recipes. I have to tell you this is heavily adapted from another recipe that came with my Berndes crepe pan, but my addition of cheddar cheese took it to a whole new level in my opinion.

Sidenote:  A few of you have asked me specifics on the pan I bought.  I actually bought the Berndes crepe set, which comes with a pan, ladle, flat spatula and crepe batter.  I would definitely recommend getting the set because I find all the tools invaluable.  Another sidenote: No, I am not endorsed by Berndes, but I probably should be for all this free advertising!

Again I digress... So back to the best crepe possibly ever.  The crepe batter has cornmeal as well as chili powder in it to give it an extra kick.  The marinated chicken is a dream to cook as well because I cooked  it right in the crepe pan right before I made the crepe.  Another perk when cooking in a little kitchen (or big kitchen I suppose... I would prefer the least dishes possible even if I was cooking in a kitchen with more than two counters).  
There is a little preparation to this, but you can do it all ahead of time and just throw the crepes together when you are ready to serve.  When my friend Kate and I dove into these, we couldn't believe how good they were.  Hope you agree! Come on, try one... I promise it's worth buying a pan!
Southwestern Crepes
Serves 4
Recipe Note: You must marinate the chicken and onion tomato mixture for at least 30 minutes so make sure you allow time for that.  You are also suppose to let the crepe batter sit for an hour after you make it.  This is customary with all crepe batters in order to let all of the bubbles out for even cooking.  I will say I have been in a hurry a few times and your crepes will turn out just fine if you don't let it sit this long.  The batter will just have air bubbles when you cook it.  Adapted from Berndes Cookware.
Ingredients
Corn Crepe Batter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup yellow corn meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon chili powder
3 large eggs
3/4 cup beer (I used a Mexican beer called Modelo)
Crepe Filling
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon chili powder
4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup beer (Modelo)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 medium sized vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
   (to seed a tomato, simply slice in half and dig the seeds out with a spoon)
1/2 medium sized white onion, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
Serve With
Sliced avocado
Sour Cream
Step by Step
For Crepe Filling
1. Combine chili powder, cilantro, salt, pepper, beer and olive oil in a bowl.
2.  Pour half of this mixture into a second bowl and add chicken breasts to marinate.
3.  Add the tomatoes and onions to the other half of the marinade and allow both mixtures to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
4.  Remove chicken from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.  Heat crepe pan over medium heat and cook chicken breast until cooked through.
5.  Slice chicken into 1/2 inch strips and and set aside.
For the Crepes
1.  Combine flour, corn meal, salt and chili powder in a blender.
2.  Add the eggs one at a time and then the beer slowly until a thin batter is formed.
3.  Refrigerate batter for one hour.
4.  Heat crepe pan over medium heat.  Lightly coat with cooking spray or olive oil.
5.  Measure out a 1/2 cup of batter.  (For thinner crepes, only use a 1/4 cup)
6.  Holding the handle of the pan with one hand, pour batter into center of pan and turn in a circle until entire pan is covered in a thin layer of batter.
7.  Cook until lightly brown on one side.
8.  Flip the crepe with a spatula and allow the other side to brown as well.  Continue to cook on each side until slightly crispy.
9.  When crepe is almost finished, sprinkle with a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Place chicken strips down the center of the crepe.   Top with tomato and onion mixture.
10.  Remove from pan and fold into the shape of a pizza slice.
11.  Serve with sliced avocado and a dab of sour cream.


1 comment:

  1. These look so good. I love to make crepes, but my boyfriend always tells me they are too "girly" and never filling. I bet he would think differently if I made these!

    ReplyDelete