One of my cooking goals is to have a long list of quick and easy weeknight meals that are delicious. These quesadillas are adapted from Real Simple, which does a great job at producing quick and tasty recipes. If you caught yesterday's post, you saw the steak fajitas I made to go with my roasted corn and avocado topping. To make tonight's meal even faster, I grilled a chicken breast after I finished up my steak for the fajitas last night. The less times we have to clean that darn griddler the better! However, I have to say the griddler is one of my favorite kitchen appliances and no little kitchen should be without one!
Okay, back to the dillas. I was able to pull my freshly seasoned and grilled chicken breast out of the refrigerator and slice it up in minutes. Another option if you don't feel like grilling is a precooked rotisserie chicken, shredded. Feel free to throw in different cheeses and vegetables depending on what you have on hand. You really can't mess these up!
Chicken and Spinach Quesadillas
Adapted from Real Simple
If you are going to grill your chicken, heavily season it with a standard season salt or salt and pepper. You can grill a piece of chicken for this meal up to 3 days before and refrigerate until ready to use. So if you are doing some grilling earlier in the week, still a boneless, skinless chicken breast on there to have on hand when you are ready to make this.
1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken or 1 cup thinly sliced grilled chicken
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (more if you like things really cheesy)
1 cup fresh baby spinach
Cooking spray or butter
Step by Step
1. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Cover with cooking spray and add tortilla.
3. Layer half of the spinach, cheese and chicken on the tortilla. Allow cheese to slightly melt and once the tortilla has started to brown on the bottom, add tortilla on top of chicken, cheese and spinach.
Optional: Add a pinch of salt over chicken, cheese and spinach.
4. Press down with spatula to allow ingredients to melt together.
5. Flip over so that the other tortilla can brown.
6. Once both sides are slightly crispy and cheese is melted, remove from heat and repeat steps for other quesadilla.
7. Cut in quarter and serve with sour cream, salsa and avocado.