"Blanching" was one of those terms that always seemed foreign to me and would deter me from making a recipe. I never really knew what it meant and recipes just simply said "blanch" thinking that this was something you were born knowing. Well, not me so here is the step by step of how to blanch. If you have ever been detered by blanching, I hope you will not be anymore because it is very easy! The point of blanching tomatoes, is to be able to remove the skins easily, not to cook the tomatoes.Blanching Tomatoes
Step by Step
1. Bring a pot of water to boil.
2. Fill a separate, large bowl with cold water and ice.
2. Remove stems from each tomato.
3. Make a shallow cut in the shape of an x on the bottom of each tomato with a knife.
4. Drop tomatoes in water and boil for about a minute; once the skin starts to peel back, they are done. The point is not to cook them so watch the tomatoes closely.
5. Remove tomatoes immediately and "shock" them in the ice water.
6. You will now be able to easily remove the skin of the tomatoes.