From my little kitchen to yours... enjoy.
Adapted from Ina Garten
Ina's original recipe called for thyme. I had rosemary on hand so that is what I used, but either will work great. I also added the worcestire for an extra kick, but if you do not have any on hand, you do not need to worry because you will still have very flavorful burgers. For the buns, I used kaiser rolls, but any mini sized bun will work.
- 1 pound premium ground beef (80 percent lean and 20 percent fat)
- 1/2 tablespoon good Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil, plus extra for brushing the grill
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon worcestire sauce
- 6 thin small slices of your favorite cheese (I used sharp cheddar on some, and blue cheese on others)
- 6 small buns (I used kaiser rolls) brioche buns work well too
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- 1 medium tomato, sliced in 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small red onion, sliced in 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- Ketchup, for serving
- Step by Step
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
Place the ground beef in a large bowl and add the mustard, olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix gently with a fork to combine, without compressing the meat. Shape the meat into 12 (2-inch) patties of equal size and thickness.
When the grill is medium-hot, brush the grill grate with oil to keep the sliders from sticking. Place the sliders on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Turn the sliders over with a spatula and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, until medium-rare, or cook longer if you prefer the sliders more well done. For the last 2 minutes of cooking time, place 1/2-ounce Gruyere on the top of each burger and close the grill lid. Remove the sliders to a platter and cover with foil.
Slice the buns in half crosswise and toast the halves cut side down on the grill.
Divide the baby arugula among the 12 bottom buns, top each with a slider, and finish with a slice of tomato and red onion. Cover with the top of the bun and serve hot with ketchup.
Makes 6 sliders