11.20.2011

Pecan Tartlets

DSC_0099 
I am 5'10.  I use to wear a size ten shoe, but if I'm honest with myself, my toes like me a lot better when I let them breathe in a size 11.

Mr. Hungry is 6'4.  We sleep in a California King.  If you are unfamiliar, it's basically a bed for giants... they shave inches off the sides and add them to the length.

You have to be at least 5'9 to possibly have the potential of reaching our microwave.

There is a good chance we could have gargantuan children in the future.
DSC_0074
Where am I going with this?

This might just lead to my fascination with all things tiny.   I think these tiny dogs are the bomb, my favorite food growing up was baby corns...(creepy, right?) Anyway...

Mini desserts seem to be all the rage right now, but for good reason.  Who doesn't want to gobble up a few of these little guys?

Now let's get real with the each other..  These are not the fastest thing to throw together.  I tell you this because the last thing I want is for you to be making these the night before Thanksgiving cursing me as you press the crusts in.
DSC_0080
What I do want you to do is make these NOW.  Stop reading.. go... come on!! Thanksgiving is soon and you need to get these puppies in the freezer.

DSC_0091 
Ah, and there it is... the reason I'm even more in love with the minis... they're freezable.  They are fantastic and they taste the exact same out of the freezer quickly warmed in the oven as they do freshly baked.  In fact, you might need to hide them from yourself because they are addicting straight out of the freezer.  And that batch of 36 you made might turn into about 6 if you sneak them away one by one.  I didn't do that... Okay maybe I did.  Whatever.

Once you pop you can't stop...
DSC_0105
Come on, let's spice things up.  A slice a pie is so yesterday.  Mini pies are the way of the future.

Happiest Thanksgiving to you.  From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy.

Pecan Tartlets
Ingredients
For the Crust
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
For the Filling
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Step by Step
In a bowl, mix cream cheese, butter, and flour together until soft and pliable.  Form dough into balls about the size of your thumb.  Press dough down against bottom and sides of the cups in mini muffin tins to form small cups.  Try to mold the crust as thin as possible without tearing the crust.  Press the ball of dough down in the pan first and then press up the sides.  Freeze for one hour.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk, vanilla and nuts.
Pour into prepared mini crusts, just below the crust line.   Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.

To Freeze:  Let tartlets cool completely.  Place tartlets on a baking sheet, not touching.  Freeze for a few hours or over night.  Once frozen through, wrap tightly in saran wrap and then wrap with freezer wrap or a freezer ziploc.  Freeze for up to two months.  When ready to use, reheat in oven for 5 to 10 minutes at 325 degrees, until warmed through.

Makes 36-42 cups.

7 comments:

  1. Haha here's to tall girls! These pecan tartlets look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny... and these look very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... I adore all things tiny too. Especially tiny sweets - i don;t feel so guilty popping a dozen in my mouth if they are small! And these tarts look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tartlets are adorable. I have a history of putting food that tempts me in the freezer. Sometimes that one extra step will deter me, but I'm not sure it would with these tartlets.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have a stash of these in my freezer! Mini pies are irresistible. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is my favorite blog post of yours ever! Still laughing

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite food growing up was those tiny corns and I love little frenchies!!! Maybe we are soul mates?? :)

    ReplyDelete