1.13.2012

Honey Comb Goat Cheese Spread

honey 7 True story. 

The first time I served this to a crowd was for a ladies tea/ luncheon/ get together sort of thing that I catered in the fall.  I spent quite a bit of time preparing all kinds of tea sandwiches, making a few dips and mini appetizers.  When I got to the party, I threw together this dish in about 5 minutes. 

About 30 minutes into the party, the honey comb goat cheese had been utterly devoured and the other dishes were just starting to show signs of being nibbled on. 

Moral of  the story:  Preparation time does not equal the amount of goodness or popularity of a dish.
honey comb collage
Okay, so that is not brain science, but listen up... you are totally going to to need to serve this at your next get together.  A tiny bit of extra sweet honey comb with a bite of tangy goat cheese topped off with the burst of a fresh berry or a fig is the definition of a party in your mouth.
honey 8This is just what January needs.  Fresh flavors that are a tad funky.  This is so 2012. 
honey collage 2
Honeycomb honey is great.  The honeycomb is insanely sweet so a little goes a long way.  I'm sure it is quite helicopter momish of me, but I feel like I must instruct people on how to eat this.  If I'm leaving the party, I make sure to instruct folks and also urge them to pass on the word to other guests who might not have shown up yet.  It's just that if you get the perfect bite, it is pure bliss.  

So my instructions include: Grab a cracker, slice off a tiny piece of the honeycomb... like 4th of a marble size tiny... scoop a little goat cheese honey mixture and top with a berry.  Perfection.

From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy.

Honey Comb Goat Cheese Spread
Recipe Notes
Honey with a honey comb can be bought at specialty grocery stores and some of the larger stores as well.  If you are in Texas, HEB carries the brand pictured below. It will be on the shelf with the rest of the honey selection, but look closely and you will see a honey comb floating in the middle of a few varieties.  Use berries depending on the season.  I love fresh figs this time of year, but raspberries and blueberries (or a mix) are also great choices. If using figs, cut off stems and quarter them.    I also like to serve this with two types of crackers.  Wheat Thins ( I like the "BIG" ones that are a little bit larger of a square than the regular) and Wafer thin crackers that seem to be popping up in most grocery stores.  There are a lot of brands, but this is what they look like.
Ingredients
1 jar of honey with a honey comb (see recipe note)
1 large log of goat cheese (10 or 11 ounces), or the same amount of pre crumbled goat cheese
1 to 2 cups of figs, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
Your favorite plain crackers and Wheat Thins, for serving
Step by Step
Remove honey comb from jar of honey and place in the middle of a large serving platter.  Drizzle a little bit of honey on the rest of the plate.  Crumble goat cheese all over the plate and honey comb.  Drizzle a little more honey on top.  Sprinkle berries on top. 

Serve with crackers.

Serves 8 to 12.

10 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this just in time for a baby shower I am hosting. Thank you thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I don't know that I've ever seen fresh figs up my way (I'm pretty sure I haven't), but I can enjoy them through that pretty top photo:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my lord, oh my lord. That first photo stole my heart. So many everything and always that I love deliciousness lost language capacity ZOMG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, that looks amazing! I'm drooling.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful and luscious appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is unbelievably beautiful. Looks like perfect shower food to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, I just want to take a second to admire your blog. It is so cute and full of great recipes too! Now ... let's talk about that Honey and Goat Cheese spread. OMG. This looks beyond amazing, I am definitely giving this one a go at my next party. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness... thank you for your kind words! Yep, this is ridiculously good.

      Delete