1.27.2010

Nutella Swirl Cupcakes

nutella cupcake

If you would like to experience a party in your mouth, drop everything you are doing and make these cupcakes.  You have no idea... I had to give them away at a rapid rate before I ate the whole batch (and with 20 cupcakes in a batch, I wouldn't have fit through my "hallway" kitchen after that).
Well, let me start at the beginning.  It was my friend Kate's birthday last week and since we have shared a common obsession with Nutella, I wanted to incorporate (what I call) the most delicious spread on earth, into a yummy treat.  I did some googling of desserts with Nutella and found a version of these cupcakes.  They had gotten rave reviews so I took my chances and made them right before we were going to meet the birthday girl.  I have to admit I was very sad with the outcome.  While the Nutella was delicious, the cupcake was really, really dry.  And who knows, maybe I messed up the recipe, but I was bound and determined to come up with a better cupcake batter for the delicious Nutella swirl.
And now, I have to pat myself on the back for doing something I never do, especially in the baking world.  I decided to tweak a recipe that I have for a very moist and delicious chocolate chip pound cake in order to make these work.  I'm just always too chicken to change anything up when it comes to baking because it is such a science.  Miraculously, the results were absolutely delicious and I am very excited to share them with you.
nutella cupcake batter copy Now I know what you are saying, this is not a cupcake... there is no icing on top.  No need for icing on top because of the delicious swirl of Nutella.  Because of the no icing top, these aren't the prettiest cupcakes you will make, but probably the most delicious.
nutella collage copy
From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy.
Nutella Swirl Cupcakes
Recipe Notes
Nutella is a delicious chocolate- hazelnut spread that can be found in most grocery stores, and usually with the peanut butter.  When you swirl in the Nutella, you can either keep it central for a little pocket of Nutella in the middle, or you can swirl it in more evenly throughout the cupcake... either way, scrumptious.  Another thing about Nutella... I had an older jar of it and tried to use the last bit of that before opening my fresh jar.  It did not spread nearly as well, so make sure your Nutella is fresh.
Ingredients
1 yellow cake mix
2 small boxes of instant vanilla pudding mixes
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
30 teaspoons of Nutella
20 muffin tin liners
Step by Step
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix yellow cake mix with boxes of pudding mix.  Add eggs, water, and oil.  Beat well.  Line a  muffin pan with liners.  Using a spoon or ice cream scoop, fill each muffin tin 2/3 full.  Do not overfill.  
Place a 1 1/2 teaspoon dollop of Nutella on each cupcake.  Using a toothpick, swirl Nutella into the cupcake batter, making sure to fold a bit of batter over the Nutella.
Bake cupcakes for 18 to 22 minutes, until centers are firm and tops are golden brown.  Allow to cool completely in cupcake pans. 
Cupcakes are best served completely cooled and can be stored in an airtight container.  

Makes 20 cupcakes. 

12 comments:

  1. I love, love, adore, and dream about nutella! I always have it in my cupboard! These cupcakes look so good. The Nutella in the middle is kind of reminding me of the chocolate in the middle of a chocolate croissant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am taking your advice. We are making these tonight! I am drooling just thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh hey new fonts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow... these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just shared this recipe with my co-workers and they are all going nuts over it! I have been asked to make these tonight so we can all try them tomorrow! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were nothing short of unbelievable! I took them to a work party and everyone was freaking out over them. I don't know what the original recipe was like but everyone was raving about the moistness of the cupcake. Bravo! Thanks! You made me such a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM trying these... these look devine! Thanks! Just added your link to my blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best cupcake I have ever had. And everyone in my office agrees... these are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A girl brought these cupcakes in to work and they were amazing! I asked her where she got the recipe and she sent me here... I love your site and I can't wait to try a few things! To see what you cook in and to think that I ever complain about a small kitchen... never again! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, yeah. Best cupcakes EVER! Thank you for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I have to admit I made these and they didn't turn out very well. They were not very sweet, which I know sounds crazy but they were kind of hard to. Ironically, I went to a baby shower this weekend, and someone had made them (did I mention my entire office is obsessed with your blog?) and they were amazing! Just further proves my point that I am a bad baker, but glad I got to taste a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids love Nutella! I will have to add this to my long "to bake" list! Thanks, Ashlea :)

    ReplyDelete