1.25.2010

Half Marathon Cookies + I Did It!

IMG_6302
If you caught my post about marathon cookies, you will recognize the half marathon cookies except there is one addition. The actual guarantee that they are a great source of energy for running a half marathon! I did it, I did it, I did it! I know this is quite the common thing to do these days, but less than 3 months ago, I would have told you that this bod would never be running more than a casual 3 mile run, with some walking involved.  However, my friend Lindsey convinced me this was totally doable and I started training 3 months ago.   There were a few reasons I chose to do this that relate to food:
1.  I learned about a little term called "carb loading" and realized I had been doing this most of my life... time to put all those carbs to work.
2.  As you can see, I'm quite the eater and with the extremely skinny kitchen we have, it would be a shame if I couldn't fit in it anymore.
3.  I had promoted these cookies and while I will probably never be able to guarantee they would work for marathons, I can tell you they were a great source of energy for a halfie.

My friend Jennifer was doing her first halfie as well and we drove up to Austin and joined a group of 6 other girls doing the race.  The group spanned from several of us doing our first half marathon to those way more experienced, but I decided to make half marathon cookies for everyone in the group.  I would like to tell little kitchen reader Abby, who I met through this race, hello!  And hello to you to SEM! Too bad I did not get a pic with all of the purple sock crew.

And why are they heart shape you ask? Well, I just felt like biting into a heart shape cookie right before I ran farther than I ever had before could do nothing but cheer me up!
IMG_6296
Get the recipe here.

IMG_6299
Lindsey, who somehow talked me into doing this.
IMG_0195
Jennifer, my fellow half marathon virgin... no more.
IMG_0190
Supportive Mr. Hungry...
IMG_0194
Allison, who was kind enough to join me for mile 8-13.
IMG_0193

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Great work running a half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ash - i was a tad skeptical of these cookies when you told me they were made with beans, but they're really good! it tastes like lemon poppyseed bread! you're a peach for making them & i can't wait to have more at our next race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun! I can't say I will ever run a race myself, but I have lots of friends who do and I would love to make them these. Thank you so much for sharing. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't know about beans in the cookies, but the packaging is just darling... what did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline, glad you like the packaging. It couldn't be simpler. I bought clear envelopes from a packaging store and then just made those labels at home.

    ReplyDelete