3.08.2012

Oreo Truffles

all done
Do you eat cake balls/ cake pops? 

I don't. 
oreo crushingFrom the moment of their conception, I have never been interested.  The texture sounded weird and the process in which people smash cake and icing and roll it in a ball  simply grossed me out.  And what about the effort?  You bake a wonderful cake, but then mash it with icing and dip it in coating? Blew my mind. 

Naturally I wasn't thrilled when oreo balls were requested for a party I was catering.  Might as well have ordered cake balls in my book. But hey, I wasn't going to eat them so it didn't totally rock my world. 
2 ingredients insideI wasn't happy about it, but I felt like I needed to take a wee bite of one just to make sure I wasn't serving a disaster.  To my absolute shock and surprise, they were amazing.  Seriously, so good.  You get a nice little crunch from the semi-sweet chocolate and then you are met with a velvety chocolatey ball of goodness.

Cake ball people, I know you are out there and I know they are all the rage, but here's the deal...whirling up oreo crumbs is a thousand times faster than baking a cake  so get on the band wagon and let's do this. 
all balled upThese went fast... lightning fast.  They were served on a dessert bar with Sprinkles cupcakes and other tried and true favorites and they were gone first. 

That's statistics.  You can't argue with statistics. 

From my little kitchen to yours... Enjoy.
the dipping process
Oreo Truffles
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Recipe Notes
You use the whole cookie for this recipe.  Leave the icing in the middle when you place them in the food processor.  Dipping in chocolate can be a little tricky.  The method I prefer is to dunk the oreo ball in the chocolate, roll around to coat and then using a fork in one hand and your fingers, scoop the ball out and place on baking sheet.  
Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
1 (8 ounce) package Cream Cheese, softened
2 (8 ounce) packages Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate (I like Baker's brand)
Directions
Crush 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into one inch balls. 

Cover a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.  Heat chocolate according to directions on packaging.  Dip balls in chocolate and place on lined baking sheet to harden.  (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs.
Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.

Makes about 42 truffles.  

11 comments:

  1. I to have stayed away from the cake pop frenzy. I have a feeling your easy, yet delicious recipe may change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been goofing off so much lately, I'm glad you have finally done something worthwhile...settling the cake ball vs. oreo truffle debate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not big on cake pops, but these sound way better. Also, I totally have that tray (and love it)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have forgotten cake pops in favour of this magnificent truffle creation - yum!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Rich Sticky Date

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were amazing! Reading your post convinced me that I should try these because I too stay far away from the cake pop. But something about this combination was perfect. My office mates are quite pleased with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love three ingredient recipes and I love this blog! Your writing cracks me up and everything I have made has turned out wonderful. Thanks for sharing what looks like another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making these for a non-profit organization. do you think they will be just as good 20 hrs later if they are storage in the refrigerator until the event? (aka, if I make them tonight they will be good around 6 tomorrow?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they will definitely last. The only thing you want to be careful with is leaving them out too long after they have been refrigerated. The chocolate might start to "sweat." This is not dangerous, but it is not as pretty. Try to refrigerate until right before serving.

      Delete
  8. I was skeptical of these Oreos when I saw them in the store, but I could totally eat them in a truffle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You use the whole cookie for this recipe. Leave the icing in the middle when you place them in the food processor. Dipping in chocolate can be a little tricky. The method I prefer is to dunk the oreo ball in the chocolate, roll around to coat and then using a fork in one hand and your fingers, scoop the ball out and place on baking sheet.
    black pakistani suit ,
    black salwar suit ,

    ReplyDelete